Thursday, September 10, 2015

Farce of Nature
Steve Schwetman, "Sonny Barbosa"
Sept. 10, 2015



Last year, I did something at Market House Theater I'd never done before—drama. I always wanted to stretch my wings and was grateful for the opportunity to play the role of Jim Casey in John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath." However, as much as I enjoyed my experience, I wanted to get back to making people laugh. So when it was announced that "Farce of Nature" would kick off MHT's 52nd season, I checked out a script the moment they became available.

The show is written by Jones, Hope and Wooten—the writers of "The Dixie Swim Club" and "The Hallelujah Girls." I'm going to be honest: I skimmed through it the script the first time I read it, and wasn't excited about it. I was expecting more. Then I gave it a second chance, except I took my own sweet time reading it very meticulously. Suddenly, the humor jumped out at me. I auditioned, made the cast and found myself laughing hysterically during the first company read-through. It was as if I had discovered the script for the very first time.


I play Sonny Barbosa. He's a mobster from Chicago who's just been released from prison following a five-year stretch. He's hot on the trail of his wife, Lola (played by Rachael Jaenichen), who he thinks is having an affair with Ty (played by Aaron Gipson), the son of D. Gene and Wanell Wilburn, (Roy Hensel and Stephanie McGlenon),  proprietors of the Reel 'Em Inn Fishing Lodge in Mayhew, Arkansas. Are you with me so far? Good, because it gets even more confusing as the show goes along. Lola calls Sonny a "hot head," but he hates that; he fancies himself as "passionate." He sometimes lets his temper get the best of him. I see a little of Sonny in myself. I'm guilty of letting my temper get the best of me and I easily jump to conclusions. So it's easy for me to play Sonny.


I've really enjoyed my time working with Kathy Pingle, the guest director of "FON." She has lots of great ideas for our characters and loves it when we come up with stuff on our own. I hope she'll come back to direct at MHT again. Getting to work again with old friends Roy Hensel, Stephanie McGlenon and Al Knudsen is always a bonus and a blessing. Rachael Jaenichen and I have worked together in MHT murder mystery fundraisers, but this is our first time together in a Main Season production. Plus, we get to play husband and wife. It's really fun seeing Delaney Rogers and Crystal Blanton (both of whom I've worked with before) step out from the background and step into a couple of great roles. I've gone from watching Aaron Gipson as a kid on stage at MHT to working alongside him in a production. And Bethany Russell has been a joy to work with in her very first MHT show. She fits right in with this wacky theatrical family! 
     We've got our lines down and have fine-tuned our characters for tonight's opening performance. We can't wait for you to see this very funny, VERY fast-paced show. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment