Monday, November 16, 2015

November 16, 2015
Anne Bidwell
"Miss Nelson"
in Miss Nelson is Missing








I have a backstage pass to my daughter’s experience.  That’s not what I expected to get out of my first Market House Theatre on-set experience.


I’ve been the audience, the carpooling parent… and, at my children’s insistence, have auditioned a time or two for shows.  This time, I was cast as “Miss Nelson” in Miss Nelson is Missing – an exhilarating and terrifying honor.  I haven’t been on stage acting since I was eighteen… and I’m just a little older these days.  

But, I also get to share the stage with my daughter, Kate! She’s the more “seasoned professional” – having worked with director April Cochran for the better part of four years, since she was old enough to be in Footlights. 
 I did not fully appreciate that last fact.

Kate’s character, schoolroom bully “Lavita,” is a gum-cracking, attitude-wielding piece of work.  As we worked the script, it was obvious bubble-blowing was a part of the action.  I insisted – INSISTED – she come prepared for the first rehearsal with gum in her mouth.  She protested Miss April does not allow gum.  “Nonsense,” I said.  She will make an exception… it’s in the script!


It took April about 15 minutes to notice Kate chewing when she, um, enforced the rules.  I, actor - not mom - had to stand by silently while my child... err, Fellow Thespian… was reminded of the NO GUM EVER UPON PAIN OF DEATH rule.  A glance at the studio door later, I saw the notice – in big red letters – hung on the door.

For the first time in my mothering career, I thought, “Kate knows more than I do about this.” (gasp)

On top of that, Kate (pictured at left WITH gum!) didn’t once give me the evil eye for insisting she break theatre protocol. I certainly wouldn’t have begrudged her the look. Nor did she make excuses to Miss April — I would have backed her up! She simply stood up, spit out the gum, and returned to work. I was rather astounded at her restraint; my resolve to not intervene was failing fast.

This was only the beginning of seeing things from my daughter’s perspective.  I watched, from behind Miss Nelson’s desk, as each and every elementary school actor/colleague of mine took critique in stride.  No self-esteem was lost.  Some of them even smile in the face of mistakes!  Even when they make them over and over and over again!  In case you do not know, a Market House Theatre children’s performance is NOT child’s play.  The expectation for responsibility and preparedness is the same for children as it is for adults.  I have been blown away by the resilience and tenacity of these kids.  They are fearless and they have fun!  I stand in awe of my daughter (and my sons) – I had no idea they worked THIS hard.


In the same breathless appreciation, I am grateful we have the Market House Theatre in this community.  What opportunity – not just to learn the art and skill of acting – but to grow as people!  I’m not sure if the kids realize it, but they are learning to fall and get back up.  I am RE-LEARNING the same thing!  They are learning to push through – despite homework, exhaustion, and a want of free time – because they made a commitment.   Me, too!I know you’ll see the hilarious product of all these efforts this week.  What you may not notice is how different we are because of this experience and what it’s taught us. I, for one, have had a chance to walk in my child’s shoes for a moment.  I’ve caught a glimpse of the exhaustion, the pressure, and the reward.  I’ve come to respect the knowledge of her experience over my own (in this case, at least).

MISS NELSON IS MISSING • November 19-22, 2015 • Tickets on sale at 270.444.6828, or online at markethousetheatre.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment