Friday, September 4, 2015

September 4, 2015
Farce of Nature
Bethany Russell (Maxine Suggs)




 I am so excited!!  I auditioned for the first time at Market House Theatre after many years of making excuses about “now is not a good time.” My hope was that they would at least ask me to pass out programs, and then I got a call back and a role in the play. I was immediately overjoyed and frightened all at the same time. But the director, Kathy (Pingel) and the cast have been so accepting, welcoming and encouraging that I feel I have been a part of MHT forever.
  



I have always loved the rehearsal process best! I love seeing the characters develop, the set emerge, props and costumes appear. I love running the script over and over and working all the little parts to make an entertaining production. The actors and actresses in this play are some of the best at developing unique, entertaining and loveable characters.  Sometimes I realize I’m laughing at something new that they have created with their character and have to remind myself to stay in character. I have learned so much from Kathy about how to make bits funny and how to approach a play, specifically a farce. She is positive and encouraging as she gives much helpful direction. 


I absolutely love Maxie! I want to be her when I grow up. She’s brave, energetic, happy, always solving problems, fearlessly walking right in the way of danger and kicking butt and taking names.  For an old broad she is a force to be reckoned with. She is a hoot. My kids have been saying “Mom, that’s something Maxie would do or say” as we go through our day, so I guess she is starting to bleed over into my everyday life.  Now if I can stay in character and not get the “giggles” with Al and keep up with all the running we do all over the stage, Maxie and I will leave our mark at the Reel ‘Em Inn!


There are no words to truly express the impact this experience has had in my life. It has been so affirming for me. I encourage anyone who has a love or interest in theatre to step out and become involved at Market House Theatre. I believe you will be welcomed with open arms and find a safe place to pursue your interests.

(Above, Bethany as "Maxie Suggs" with Al Knudsen as "Carmine DeLuca")

No comments:

Post a Comment