Tuesday, June 2, 2015

June 2, 2015
Poppins People Post
Fowler Black
"Bert"





Most adults familiar with the story of Mary Poppins probably have an idea of the role of Bert in the story. Ashamedly, I didn't prior to auditioning for "Bert" in MHT's production of the musical. I clearly haven't watched enough movies in my life. All I knew about Bert was what I saw from small promotional excerpts the Broadway cast shared at tourism industry conventions. Had it not been for the encouragement from friends to audition for Bert, I might have coasted my way through the summer with only my upcoming wedding in mind.


My fiancee's family is a movie-watching family. So they (Kim Yocum, in particular) enjoy enlightening me through movie exposure. Between reading the part of Bert in the Mary Poppins script and watching Dick Van Dyke in the movie, I quickly realized that Bert in the stage musical and Bert in the film were not exactly carbon copies of each other. In the stage musical, Bert acts as a narrator and far-away friend of Mary Poppins as well as a jack-of-all-trades (street painter, kite merchant, chimney sweep, etc). One notable difference in MHT's version is that Bert didn't have to master the skill of being a one-man-band. Aerial somersaults across the stage is enough for me.

What I've enjoyed most about the part of Bert are the lessons from his character. He remains positive and enjoys life to the max despite his occupations being considered "the bottom-most rung" on the ladder of life. His zeal for life actually makes him magical - he serves as an intermediary of sorts between the Banks children and the magic of Mary Poppins. Breaking down the socio-economic barriers, Bert's love for the Banks children helps them learn about life.

As the character grows on me, I hope to discover a little more quirkiness with the role.  Until then, I'll continue to have fun with the color that cockney provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment